Monday, September 24, 2012

How Does a Novice Begin to Meditate?


That’s a very good question.  For me I just did it.  I had some idea from movies and TV but had never actually witnessed anyone meditating or asked anyone about it.  I never read books on how to meditate.  I would lie down on my bed, close my eyes and think about places I wanted to be and things I wanted to see.  At times, I would astral project: feel like my spirit left my body and I was my spirit.  My spirit would travel all over the world on these trips. 
Looking back, that wasn’t really meditation.  It was more like self-hypnosis.  Buddhists believe in a vastly different meditation.  You clear your mind.  Don’t seek anything and don’t try to see pretty pictures.  You bring your mind to where it was before you were born.  That is Zen.  No worries. 
The guy in the following post does a very good job of explaining, to the beginner or anyone, 10 simple steps to meditate in the Buddhist tradition:
My next suggestion would be to go to a Zen Center.  They generally have meditation classes for beginners and then opportunities to chant (a form of meditation) and sit meditation with the members and others.  I am a member of the Providence Zen Center (PZC) in RI and also a member of the Kwan Um School of Zen.  The Kwan Um School has locations all over the US and in many other countries all over the world. The PZC has beginner meditation training classes on Wednesday nights at 6:30 and sometimes they have them on Sundays. They are free to the public.  Some on the internet call the Kwan Um School a cult.  That couldn’t be farther from the truth.  Whatever individuals wrote that were obviously making assumptions and probably never bothered to visit one of the many Zen Centers. 
The people that live at, work at and visit these centers are the nicest, kindest and mellowest people.  They ask nothing of newcomers like I feel I still am.  I am working on becoming a Dharma Teacher and they are trying to slow me down.  No one is encouraging it and none of them probably remember that I even have that interest.  When I discussed doing the 5 Precepts (a step in becoming a teacher) with one of our Dharma Teachers, he said slow down.  Everything will happen when it is supposed to happen.  He also told me the only thing I should be concerned about is practicing my mediation and concentrating on what is in front of me. 
The last time I sat with Jose, he asked me, “What is missing right now?”  I said after some hesitation, “Nothing.  I am at the Zen Center, we are talking.  No past or future just what is happening right now.”  He agreed.  He also added, “When you try to rush to become more enlightened, it just doesn’t work.  If you seek enlightenment, you won’t find it.  Don’t make anything.  Clear your mind and it may find you,” then he wacked my mat with his stick.  A symbolic gesture as in the old days, a monk in training would have been hit with that stick.  I’m not saying I’m a monk in training.  In the old days they did not let lay persons into these temples.  A Korean Zen Master brought his Zen teachings to the US and understood that things needed to be loosened up a bit to reach a much wider audience.
Okay, where was I?  I also understand that going into a Buddhist Temple can be intimidating for a newcomer.  It was very intimidating for me.  I wanted to go to such a temple in Boston when I was around 23 years old.  I walked by it over and over again when I walked to and from my car when I worked in the Back Bay.  I never went in.  Another 25 years went by before I finally entered the Providence Zen Center.  This is where I have learned the most about Zen and about meditating.  It took me 48 years to get to a Zen Temple.  I’m not complaining.  Things happen when they are supposed to.
Peace and clear mind!  If you have questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section…

No comments:

Post a Comment