Friday, September 7, 2012

The Way of the Human


I started this last night in Word and the damn thing disappeared on me and I hadn't saved it yet.  So I'm writing this in my blog which saves a draft like every 30 seconds.  Losing several paragraphs was annoying as I have no idea what I was writing about...well I remember a little.  Yes...this was very un-Zen-like behavior.  I'm human not a Zen robot. 

I finished the book "The Way of The Sufi."  It was a big disappointment.  It is an older book but not that that should matter.  The author...not sure who he felt his audience was.  Anyway, he pretty much discussed everything a Sufi wasn't and not really much of anything on what being a Sufi means.  I got pretty much just two things out of the book: 1. A Sufi is very similar to a Buddhist and 2. Rumi was a Sufi.  That's it...

I'm now reading the Qur'an.  I am also reading, The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.  The Qur'an was written very long ago (of course) and the latter book was originally printed in 1952 and then reprinted in 1978.  I have the 1978 edition and it was signed by the author.  The signature reads: "To my good friends Mary and Henry Holt.  God bless you always. Norman Vincent Peale, August 10, 1978."  Pretty cool.  The Holts, it appears, were/are writers also.  Maybe this book is worth something.  Maybe just an interesting story.  Whatever...

I don't just read religious and inspirational or self help type books.  I always have a novel going and usually pulp fiction crime/cop/lawyer stuff.  My favorite such author is Michael Connelly.  Right now I'm reading a book by John Grisham that is not his normal fair (or mine).  This is about an NFL second string quarterback who screws up big time and ends up playing for a team in Italy.  It appears they have what is known as the IFL (Italian Football League).  He gets paid only $30,000 but ends up falling in love with Italy and specifically, Parma, the city he lives in and plays for.  Three books at a time for me is pretty normal.

Where was I going with this?  I have no idea...I've got writer's block...cut me some slack.  I'm reading books on theology and philosophies for several reasons.  By understanding all the faiths of the world, it will better help me understand and appreciate my own faith.  By truly understanding all faiths and not just listening to propaganda created by hateful people, it will help me better understand everyone to better love everyone.  It's so simple yet so far away from so many.  People need to wake up.  Most people are asleep.  If all you have is love no matter what comes at you:  WOW!

Lastly, I am studying all faiths as part of my journey in Buddhism...

No comments:

Post a Comment