Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chanting Meditation and Dharma Talk

First off, for some reason, most times when I attempt to type the word "meditation" I end up typing the word "medication" instead.  I find this interesting as meditation is like medication for the soul.  I actually take a lot of medication and would like to rid my body and mind of that need.  Not sure if I will ever be rid of the need for the meds for physical issues.  But, reducing stress can make one healthier.  I read once that about half the people in hosptials on any given day have ailments that developed as a result of stress

Anyway, I also want to say that I am disappointed that I missed the one day retreat this past Sunday at the Zen Center in Cumberland, RI.  I was still battling pneumonia.  The next one is on March 18th and I will be there.

Last night I atended my first Chant meditation.  I arrived early and bought a long sleeved t-shirt and a book in the gift shop.  Yes there is a gift shop with some nice things.  I am addicted to t-shirts so of course I had to have one that says Providence Zen Center on it (I'll be wearing it tomorrow for dress down Friday).  The book is also a good one for a newbie like me to read.  The book is:

 "Only Don’t Know: Selected Teaching Letters of Zen Master Seung Sahn."

I was about a half hour early so I meditated by myself in the dharma room (the meditation room).  I also wanted to find a more comfortable seated postion for myself as I have bad knees.  That lotus postion is just tough for me to do for any length of time and pain can take away from the meditation experience.  I tried a small stool that you sit on, kneel in front of and put your legs under the stool.  It was much more comfortable. 

The chanting meditation started at 6:30 and I was given a book with the chants.  Wow!  I had serious trouble keeping up and not losing my place.  I also have asthma so had to stop to catch my breath many times.  The idea with the chanting is that you can't think of anything but the chants (never mind they are in Korean and I have no idea what I was saying).  The idea of meditation is not thinking so it worked out pretty well as I had a hard enough time concentrating on the chants and keeping up with the group.  We did 2 half hour sessions. 

The second session also included a lot of bowing which taught me that I need to practice bowing.  I was all over the place.  We're talking bowing while standing then in a proper manner dropping to your knees and then bowing down to the ground.  Getting back up properly requires doing the exact same thing in reverse.  Again, lots of practice needed here.

At 7:30 we had a dharma talk.  This is more laid back.  The mats are put in a semi-circle and we just sat and had a chance to speak with the Zen Master (Jose) and a gentleman who is working to become one (he has been training for 8 years).  I had many questions but felt it was my time to listen not speak.  I want more time there before I get involved in these discussions.

It was a good night.  I was able to wash away some of the days' junk and the weeks' junk.  I plan to continue going on Wednesday nights.  I plan to go to that retreat on March 18th.  I may become a member of the temple but not sure if I have the time to devote as membership equals getting more involved.  Part of me also wants to do a 3 month retreat there.  I would meditate, etc. in the mornings (getting up at 5:00 each morning is required), go to work and then meditate etc. in the evening and on weekends and take part in work around the 40 acre property.  They have nice living quarters onsite for such purposes.  I would also have many chances to sit with the Zen Master and students at various levels. 

Right now I'm taking it all a step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment