Thursday, March 15, 2012

Don't Think...Chew Bones!


Eckhart Tolle.  I love this guy.  A new friend emailed me recently and this quote of his was on her signature line:

“Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves it’s problems. We get lost in doing, thinking, remembering, anticipating – lost in a maze of complexity and a world of problems. Nature can show us the way home…”

This reminds me of a recent post of mine:  "The Zen of Simon."  We can indeed learn a lot from nature.  Man used to to be one with nature and most of us have lost our way.  We are sadly caught up in technology and toys and other material things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  We are destroying our planet, running out of something as simple as fresh drinking water.  Never mind things like "pink slime" and other things we are eating.  Most of our food is processed, removing most if not all the nutrients.  Most of our food is controlled and poisoned by companies like Monsanto, a chemical company.  I am going to stop here because this is all for another discussion at another time.

I was aware of the book "The Power of Now" but I was not aware of who the author was and not aware of much about him.  From Wikipedia: In 2011, he was listed by the Watkins Review as the most spiritually influential person in the world.  In 2008, a New York Times writer called Tolle "the most popular spiritual author in the nation [United States]."

I feel blessed to have come across this man and now plan to read his books (I read a lot....always reading at least one book and am currently reading three).  When you open yourself up for God to do His will, it's amazing what can happen.  I recognized immediately that Eckhart had studied Zen.  He has studied many religions and philosophies but appears to lean heavily towards Zen Buddhism.  Fantastic.

I have been going to the Providence Zen Center for just over a month now and already can see and feel that I am changing.  I don't want to dive too heavily into it yet (I don't want to get ahead of myself) but am going to a day retreat there on Sunday which should be "enlightening."  I will have a chance to have an interview/private meeting with the Zen Master.  This is important to me as I want her to know who I am and why I am there.  I also want guidance and help. 

Meditate and clear your mind so you can find peace.  I am looking for peace, for a less stressful life free of anxiety and fear.  I also want to be a better person so I can do a better job of helping the people in my life and people in general.  I already feel God is helping me. 

Don't think...chew bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment