Monday, March 26, 2012

Walking Meditation and Other Ways to Meditate


What a concept.  Meditate while walking.  Sounds dangerous...but no, not really.  The concept of walking meditation is using the action of walking as a form of meditation. It allows us to become mindful and aware of who we are, what we do, and how our bodies exist. It gives us an easy point of focus and depending on how aware we are it can be an intense experience.  It gives us something to focus on besides our thoughts.  In seated meditation, one's thoughts can easily sneak in but while walking, you have things to concentrate on that distract you from thinking.  You have to pay attention to the pace of the group so you don't lag behind or walk into the person in front of you.  You can also look around the room or if you are outside, enjoy what is going on around you.  The idea is to not think about the past or future, just experience what is going on RIGHT NOW

Once during a walking meditation, we were outside and there were birds chirping and doing their thing.  The instructor said to become the birds.  Picture yourself as the birds.  If you can do it, you will be free of any nonsense in your head.  A friend of mine recently said "stop and smell the roses" so I came back with "stop and be the roses."  Very Zen!

Now I take this one step further.  I spend a great deal of time mountain biking.  What about mountain bike riding meditation?  If I spend my ride stewing about the day's events or other past events or stress about the future, my ride is not going to be very enjoyable.  So, when out riding I like to just stay in the moment.  Nothing else exists but me, the bike and the woods.  I experience nature and its beauty.  This past weekend I saw a pheasant, a house with a crazy amount of exotic birds on the property, turkey vultures, seagulls, I think a partridge but may be wrong on that one, cats, dogs, people and of course all kinds of trails.  Trails that are smooth, rocky, technical, hilly (up and down).  All kinds of good stuff to keep me in the moment and keep me from thinking of anything other than what is going on RIGHT NOW.  Right now thinking is peaceful thinking.

I also came across some tunnels, bridges, old train remnants, the Blackstone River, brooks and ponds and lakes.  The outdoors is a great adventure for me and I like to document my rides with lots of pictures.  Perhaps too many pictures as my rides seem to be getting shorter and the amount of pictures is increasing.  I want to get a nice digital SLR.  I also want to ride more.  It's all about balance.

Back to walking meditation.  I can do this at work.  At mid-day it makes a great stress reliever.  I used to walk during the day and think about all the "stuff" that was driving me crazy.  Whether it was work stuff or life stuff.  Now I have learned to think of nothing while I walk at work.  I just pay attention to my walk and the things I come across.  This is how to take a break and relax: DON'T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE MOMENT.  Otherwise, how are you going to relax?  Thinking about the past doesn't help you relax and sweating the future doesn't help you relax so, STOP DOING IT! 

Working out at the gym can be meditation also.  Just think about the exercises and do them.  Look around and soak up the atmosphere but leave the un-productive thoughts at the door.  When you are at the gym, life's "stuff" does not exist.  It is just you and your workout(s).  It's you and the others there and their workouts.  It's the music, the noise, the sweat.

True Zen Masters are supposedly in a meditative state all the time.  This simply means they are ALWAYS living in the moment.  This is a tough thing to achieve, but the closer you can get, the happier and closer to serentiy you will be!

Peace!  Clear your mind!

1 comment:

  1. Is reading a form of meditation? When I'm deep in a book there is nothing going on but the story in that book! Sounds like it meets the definition of meditation to me!

    ReplyDelete