Monday, March 12, 2012

Kwan Seum Bosal


Kwan Seum Bosal (phonetic Korean).  Meaning: one who "perceives the cries of the world” and responds with compassionate aid; the bodhisattva of compassion.

Mother Teresa of course comes to mind immediately.  This woman's soul may have found Nirvana after it lived as Mother Teresa.  This woman is more amazing than I even understand.  I should have done some research before sitting down here. I know what I know not from making an effort to read about it.  I know what I know from the TV and word of mouth.  I suppose it does't matter where it comes from but I have made a mental note to add a book of hers or one about her to my list for the year. 

I am by no means trying to compare myself to Mother Teresa in this post.  However, I do sometimes perceive the cries of the world.  I carry a lot more than just my own pain around.  I had to recently unfriend a friend on facebook because of the images of abused dogs she was posting.  I understand she was trying to get people to realize how bad it can be (it can be real bad for humans also) but these images were graphic and the last two were enough for me.  I shudder thinking about it right now and wish I wasn't thinking about those dogs and all the abused dogs, animals and people in the world.  The world can be beyond horrible, beyond what most of us can even imagine.  Too much of it is bad.  What do we do about it?  I've had bad stuff happen in my life.  You have in yours.  Is there a difference?  Or do we both need to get beyond it and understand that life is much more than this life and body we currently inhabit?   I know it's easier said than done and for some, much harder than others.  I am terrible at it.

I carry around everything that has happened since I was nine when my brother died.  That's forty years of stuff dragging me down.  Then I carry around all the serious "stuff" happening in the world like senseless wars, brutal hunger and abuses of people.  Human beings.  What are we as a race?

I don't know.  Only don't know.  Anyway, Mother Teresa,  essentially a Bodhisattva (a Buddha that has taken human form to relieve mankind from suffering), gave herself completely to help as much of the world as she possibly could in her lifetime.  Is there anyone in our lifetime we can compare her to?  I don't think so...not even close.  Ghandi?  He was cool.  Another one I haven't really studied so should not give an opinion on at this time.  On my list as we speak of books to read, something about him or by him...perhaps both.  Anyone else?

My point?  I honestly don't know.  It is just rare to find such a human as Mother Teresa.  A true Kwan Seum Bosal.

No comments:

Post a Comment